An abortion can affect a woman in a variety of ways and at various times in her life. Some women feel relieved initially while others suffer emotionally. It is difficult to predict someone’s response to their abortion in the short or long term. Post abortion stress can be affected by a woman’s age, stage in pregnancy, emotional and mental health, religious or cultural beliefs, or whether she felt she was pressured into having an abortion.
- The inability to process your thoughts and emotions about the pregnancy / abortion
- An absence of peace with yourself and others involved in the pregnancy / abortion
If you, or someone you know, are experiencing any of the symptoms of post abortion stress below, we invite you to call us at 604-939-2633. Depending on the severity of your symptoms we can help you begin a journey of healing or refer you to professional counsellors for help.
- Avoidance Behaviours
- Psychological “numbing”
- Re-experiencing events related to the abortion
- Pre-occupation with becoming pregnant again
- Anxiety over fertility and childbearing issues
- Interruption or disruption of the bonding with present and/or future children
- Self-destructive behaviours
- Anniversary reactions
- Brief Psychotic disorder
Some women can also suffer from flashbacks of the abortion procedure or anniversary grief on the calendar day of their abortion.
All of our peer-counselling services are free and confidential.